Import Tuner
1 |  2 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts    Sort Order

Help Achieve my goal of beating 2 S2000s

Fayt Fayt
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 04/12
Posted: 04/22/12
08:42 PM

Ok so I work with a couple of guys that both have S2000s. One is heavily modded that is Supercharged and the other guys is almost stock. They are always talking about how good their cars are and rubbing it in. All I have right now is a 2006 V6 Mustang (manual). Its completely stock and this is where I need your help. They race their S2000s on a track. I would like to get a car that could stomp them in a drag race and on the track. Heres what I know...S2000s are good on corners and Mustangs are terrible. Is there a car I can buy and mod up to finally get back at these guys or does my mustang have what it takes to achieve this goal? Its only a V6 so i doubt it.

I dont really have a budget. If I have to change cars then I would trade in the mustang. I dont want to spend a bunch on the car so I can mod it over time. Im guessing 12k or less for the car give or take. I perfer Manual but that should be standard for a tuner car. I have read the "what tuner car to start with: thread but that didnt get me anywhere. AWD sounds good for a drag and track car but i dont care really. I just dont want to take crap for having a crappy V6 Mustang. Ive always wanted an EVO but they are expensive. Im all about the looks of a car though sadly.

Please help me find the answer!

Thanks!  

godfather3G godfather3G
Guru | Posts: 1910 | Joined: 02/08
10:18 PM

if you dont have a budget, then no. even at stock those s2ks would spank that mustang on a road course.  
-------
the godfather has spoken
R.I.P. GRANDPA PITT AUG 10, 1930 - SEPT 30, 2010

Fayt Fayt
11:19 PM

So theres nothing a Mustang can do to beat a S2000? So what car could I trade in my mustang for and tune up to make that happen?

I was thinking maybe trading in the mustang and getting a 350z. Is a 350z able to compete against a S2000?  

Sideways Panda Sideways Panda
Guru | Posts: 779 | Joined: 04/08
Posted: 04/23/12
09:26 PM

Honestly, if they are already racing their cars on the track then you don't have much of a chance.  Not modded S2K aside, you're talking about trying to beat supercharged S2K with a driver that probably knows his car inside and out and exactly how it handles.  Even if you got a car that matched it in performance, you would still need the track time to get to know the car.  There isn't going to be an easy way to do this.  Racing and tuning experience don't come over night.  

Fayt Fayt
Posted: 04/24/12
06:09 AM

I understand its not an overnight thing but you have to start somewhere. Im just looking for some help to get me started. I must have came to the wrong place since all im getting is negative feedback.

Options:

1)Keep V6 Mustang and start modding it
2)Ttrade it in for a GT or 350z and start from there

Im open to suggestions.  

Sideways Panda Sideways Panda
Guru | Posts: 779 | Joined: 04/08
Posted: 04/24/12
01:17 PM

Well what are you expecting?  You're asking our advice solely to beat your coworkers, you don't have a budget, you didn't give any specifications and you claim to be all about the looks.  Generally when we help people pick a car, it's what they want, not what will make them able to beat their coworkers. If you want a car that can compete with an S2K, any of the cars on the New Car Sticky thread can compete with an S2K.  If you are looking for a list of 2 or 3 cars to choose from that will suit you, we need specifications like dreivetrain, expected stock power output, preferred body style, number of seats, what kind of track and/or terrain you'll be driving on, gas mileage, etc.  You don't need to have a preference for all of these, but if you are looking for a filtered list of cars, we need more to go off of than "can compete with an S2K."  

godfather3G godfather3G
Posted: 04/25/12
06:58 PM

my eclipse can compete with an s2k, but i know it inside and out. driving on a track at high speed is a lot harder then people think. you need to know the limits of the vehicle you drive. a beginner in a r35 can get spanked by a experienced driver in a civic. you need to find out what will be suitable for the daily purpose and go from there. if you dont have a budget, it will take years to modify a car for some serious power and grip. lets put it this way, i want some megan racing adjustable coilovers for my car, they cost $850, it will take me approximately 8-10 months to save up that kind of money to blow on my car. i am a low budget tuner. secondly, if you are a low budget tuner, your best bet is to find a car you can purchase straight out with the mustang trade in. you thing you have no money now, wait till you have a $300+ car payment a month eating away at your tuning budget, that is why i dont have a budget. once my car is paid off(one more year), i will have more money to save up.  
-------
the godfather has spoken

DiscountRhino DiscountRhino
New User | Posts: 45 | Joined: 04/11
Posted: 05/16/12
10:03 AM

just a personal recommendation, this is purely me disregarding your care of looks and all that jazz, I'd look on craigslist for an mr2, and get 1, they generally run anywhere from $2k for  dinked up 1, to 4k for a decently maintained 1, trade your mustang to the owner and have him throw you some cash, and use that cash given to slowly start on your car, sw20's have a lot in common w/ s2k's, the 2 BIGGEST similarities being 1. they are both 4 bangers, and 2. they are both, EXTREMELY light weight, and every1 knows track or drag ...winning comes down to power:weight ratio + skill of driver. an MR2 can easily get up to 450-500 hp for less then $9k. How do I know this? because I'm currently in the process of doing it and have a friend of mine that already has done it, you can literally make a car that will stomp those s2k's for the price of a civic. and if looks are what you want in the end http://www.carpron.com/multisite/d/7447-2/trd2000gt_mr2t_0002.jpg <---- that is the TRD 2000gt wide body kit, I personally think it looks awesome, check it out you might like it. anyway just my 0.02, GOOD LUCK! Laugh  

10:05 AM

ps. the trd kit generally runs anywhere from 800-1400$ depending on where you buy it from  

10:05 AM

damn double post >_>.. sorry  

godfather3G godfather3G
08:38 PM

the mr2 is not a beginner style car. with that light of a car and all the weight in the back, your steering is hurt. the mr2 is know to understeer. i used to drive a fiero, and they were heavier in the front then an mr2 and i had a hell of a time trying to steer through corners with any kind of power. i had to slow down to a crawl to get through hard corners. i used to drive a fiero gt, and i also drove a built crx. the crx was so much better then the fiero. imo if i had to choose between the mr2 and the crx, i would take the crx in a heart beat. its lighter, it looks good. and you can stuff some big engines into that little engine bay.  
-------
the godfather has spoken

oldsinner111 oldsinner111
New User | Posts: 11 | Joined: 03/12
Posted: 05/20/12
08:20 AM

I would add a 125 nitrous shot and at least stay up with them  

godfather3G godfather3G
Posted: 05/20/12
03:54 PM

not on a road track you wont. 1.when are you going to hit nos on a road track, also, i believe having a nos setup is illegal on road tracks. 2.you dont just put nos on a car. you need to build the engine up to with stand that extra heat.  
-------
the godfather has spoken

Posted: 10/07/12
10:41 AM

I love when people make posts like that, I giggle. Granted I'm not car expert like panda or godfather, but just the fact some1's like THROW SOME NOS IN THAT *** I'm just thinking LOLOLOLOLOLOL  

godfather3G godfather3G
Posted: 10/08/12
09:37 AM

it all because of the first f&f movie. all though i watch the f&f series, the first movie destroyed the true import scene.  
-------
the godfather has spoken

1 |  2 |  Next   | Last