Import Tuner
Item Posts    Sort Order

1uz-fe in 91 mr2

DiscountRhino DiscountRhino
New User | Posts: 45 | Joined: 04/11
Posted: 10/25/11
07:17 PM

The 91 MR2 has a 5sfe to my knowledge.

would it be more benficial to go w/ the 3S-GTE or would a 1UZ-FE have more power potential?

the 3sgte is already boosted, will the 1uz accept a turbo well, or any other kind of mod at that.

as always any insight is greatly appreciated!  

Sideways Panda Sideways Panda
Guru | Posts: 781 | Joined: 04/08
Posted: 10/25/11
10:15 PM

Hey rhino, long time no see.  I would go with the 3S-GTE. It will be a lot easier to put in because it will be a straight swap rather than trying to squeeze a V8 in there.  I have an AW11 MR2 and yours is an SW20, but unless they decided to add more room in the engine bay, it is kinda cramped in there as is.  

Posted: 10/26/11
01:40 AM

yooo panda!! XD ya its actually my friends, we're just interested in some info on whats an easy route for hi power/torque.

what about a ZZW30 from the new mr2's, I remember you using this concept when we discussed renesis 13b's from rx8s for an rx7, could the same concept be used here or is the new mr2s engine just to large??  

jching jching
Administrator | Posts: 378 | Joined: 11/06
11:12 AM

you can put a turbo on a 1uz but since it didn't come from the factory like that i doubt it could safely handle too much boost.  people have done it but i'm not sure what kind of numbers they were running or how much work they did in prepping the engine.  

3SGTE would be a better since it came turbo from the factory and like panda said it should pretty much be a direct swap.  

12:17 PM

I'm pretty sure the ZZW30 is actually the chassis code for the latest MR2 and the stock engine is the 1ZZ-FE.  So you could do that, but even the people that have the latest MR2 prefer to swap to the 2ZZ-GE.  The American 2ZZ makes about 180hp and can  be pulled out of a 2003 Corolla or Matrix if you can find one that has been junked.  I would watch out for placement and trans connection issues though.  The 3S-GTE would probably still be your best bet.  

12:32 PM

woops ya my bad, as I said, not my ride, don't know all the details, but ya just based on whats gunna be easier for "US" to put in looks like we'll be going with the 3S-GTE.

Are there any sites any of you know of that I can find newly built 1's to order?  

02:44 PM

Got-jdm.com has always looked pretty solid to me.  I haven't ordered anything from them yet, but I plan to use them when I do a swap.  Check them out.  

Posted: 10/27/11
05:38 PM

so I just googled got-jdm.com and the first 3 listings were all negative, I followed that up w/ reviews on the site and it seems they scam people regularly, are there any other sites you may know of?  

Posted: 10/28/11
03:04 AM

Oh, good to know.  And not off the top of my head, no.  You should check around local custom shops to see if they have a place where they get engines from.  

NachoSC NachoSC
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 12/11
Posted: 12/19/11
04:37 PM

1uz is a massive engine man unless you plan on doing a crappy load of fabrication your best bet is a 3vz-fe (v6) its pretty much a direct swap minus one mount that you can either fab up or buy but it'll have the same power as a 3sgte and will be more cost effective. also it satisfying growl to it haha.

either way good luck with your build.  

Posted: 12/22/11
05:31 PM

we ended up going with the 3sgte lol, but thanks for the insight bro  

Posted: 12/23/11
02:21 AM

Sup Rhino, How'd the swap go?  You liking the power output?  

Posted: 12/23/11
02:22 AM

My bad, forgot it was your friends car.  How are you and your friend liking the power output? lol  

Posted: 01/07/12
05:11 PM

well, we did the 3sgte swap, bolt on headers and cams. We haven't dyno'd it yet, but it pulls SOOO much better. He plans on taking out the stock ct-26 turbo and putting something bigger, he hasn't decided yet. We were wondering what other mods you would recommend, we're trying to get it around 450+ horses, any recommendations or is that much power aside from what we already have gunna have to come from a monster turbo, thus resulting in us taking out the stock internals??