Import Tuner
1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts    Sort Order

Ricers

decipher decipher
New User | Posts: 7 | Joined: 06/09
Posted: 08/25/09
07:34 AM

I'm hoping to get some insight into this question from my Latino brothers out there.  Don't be offended, I'm not trying to be racist... white boy, hillbilly redneck types do some funky *** to their cars too.  But, I live in a neighborhood of mostly Latino families...

Why do 9/10 of these guys do the most obnoxious, tacky, cheap accessorizing to their cars!?  I'm talking about huge wings bolted onto 20 year old neons that are rusted out, with the gluescrew fake scoops on the hoods, and its all crooked with a giant bolt-on exhaust tip nearly scraping the ground, and always with the flame decal stickers, or glue on vents on the side!    They have to know it looks bad... right?  There seems to be no shame.  Is this a cultural difference?  Or do I just live near the exceptions to the rule?  

ianlockhart ianlockhart
New User | Posts: 23 | Joined: 08/09
09:18 AM

No definately not exception.. So many of those around here.. Columbus OH. We have a few nice non rice cars.. But overall way to many shitty ricers. A lot of neons and civics. And just randdom shitty cars ha. I feel ya man They must know it looks bad.. especially with primer or cracked body kits on cars with fading paint..  

justin-vr4 justin-vr4
Enthusiast | Posts: 281 | Joined: 04/09
09:47 AM

My only guess is impatience due to lack of funding. I mean, as you said, they must know it looks bad. But I think they want to make their car look unique ASAP, and that means sacrificing any sort of finished product (this isn't one particular group of people, it's all sorts of age and race in CT)

There's one very riced out Eclipse GS in my area, but it's finished properly (no unpainted parts, all fitted properly). I gave him props at a stop light, looks like a show car (even if it's slow).  
----
1994 GTO Twin Turbo
nothin wrong with front-wheel drive, I just refuse to own one

godfather3G godfather3G
Guru | Posts: 1910 | Joined: 02/08
04:03 PM

thats ok. there is a whole car club down here that takes caviliers and sunfires adn stick straight dual exhaust on them and think that they are fast cause they have loud cars. there is also a guy in my town that has a "jdm" saturn sl1. its people like this that ruin our scene. my favorite one that i hear from people is, i have a wide body kit on my car so now it handles better. but yet their wheels are still at stock width, or, i pulled off my hub caps so i lost a lot of weight in my wheels. thats why i stick to keeping my car with a near stock body. i want a oe cf hood, an oe cf trunk, oe fg fenders. and then i will paint the whole car one color.  
-------
the godfather has spoken
R.I.P. GRANDPA PITT AUG 10, 1930 - SEPT 30, 2010

ianlockhart ianlockhart
New User | Posts: 23 | Joined: 08/09
06:30 PM

yea. I like body kits but am picky so it better be done right. CF is so sick. id get all that and paint it one color except MAybe the hood depending on what color the car was. But i like simple paint jobs. Black out everything, white car black windows rims lights etc, or just one solid color with black windows and rims. no vinyls or decals or custom paint jobs for me. simple and sexy is what i like.  

decipher decipher
New User | Posts: 7 | Joined: 06/09
Posted: 08/26/09
07:10 AM

There's a place for extreme body kits and aggressive styling, done right, and something also very appealing about subtle and small mods done with class... especially when you've got the goods to back it up underneath the hood.  But I just don't understand the cheap ***

If you can't afford to do it at least half way descent, don't bother.  I guess I'm just a sensitive guy... 'cause I'm tired of feeling embarrassed for these kids.  

hype3 hype3
New User | Posts: 22 | Joined: 09/09
Posted: 09/21/09
02:27 PM

I dont have my fast car yet, but when i get it im not gonna be the kinda guy that goes out and buys the cheapest body kit he can find..also i had 2 question..
1. how much would u guys pay for a decent one color paint job? (not orange peely or anythin like that)
2. Why the hell would people think that just because they got a wide body kit there car would handle better!?!?  
= = = = =

I pop Wheelies and run from cops BEOTCH!!

godfather3G godfather3G
Guru | Posts: 1910 | Joined: 02/08
04:22 PM

im goin to paint my car midnight black. to get it professionaly painted will cost me just over a grand.

ricers are stupid, thats why they think that ***  
-------
the godfather has spoken
R.I.P. GRANDPA PITT AUG 10, 1930 - SEPT 30, 2010

And0603 And0603
New User | Posts: 16 | Joined: 11/07
05:05 PM

The best one ive heard is "got my windows tinted and a Alum. Wing that added like 5-10 hp"  

hype3 hype3
06:38 PM

Hahahahah that's great!!! And thanks godfather. Tell me how it comes out  
= = = = =

justin-vr4 justin-vr4
Enthusiast | Posts: 281 | Joined: 04/09
Posted: 09/23/09
04:50 AM

My paint job cost me around $6k, but that included a new replacement front and rear fascia, replacement tail lights and spoiler. My car also had a large amount of damage to the quarter panels to repair after stripping and sanding the car down. You can get a good paint job for around $3-4k assuming your car isn't as badly taken care of as mine was Laugh . If you do all the prep work yourself, it can be under $1k.  
----
1994 GTO Twin Turbo
nothin wrong with front-wheel drive, I just refuse to own one

hype3 hype3
Posted: 09/25/09
08:17 AM

ok thats good to know cause i work in a car shop where its strictly older cars (1940's and down) and ive sanded all the cars and even painted a few panels myself..so i should be aight on the sanding part..but im just a kid i cant afford a 4000 paint job  
= = = = =

EdenPrime EdenPrime
New User | Posts: 14 | Joined: 09/09
Posted: 09/26/09
10:21 PM

LoL, i have a ton of those around here. I saw a totally stock like, 1996 Saturn SL2 with a huge Aluminum spoiler at an Olive Garden. I see cavaliers with 13'' chrome rims, giant wings, chrome taillights, flame decals, ect. To me, any car with chrome taillights looks cheesy. Around my particular area a lot of guys get these pick up trucks and have american flags and hunting stickers on them along with like, SummitRacing stickers. By the way, they aren't hicks or anything, i live in Minnesota. They think if they like trucks, that they're hillbillies or something.

But i guess what i'm really trying to say is that it is much more rewarding to wait a little longer, save up a little more, and do things right.  

MaverickGTR MaverickGTR
User | Posts: 50 | Joined: 04/09
Posted: 09/29/09
04:50 PM

For one thing we are all RICERS when it comes on tuning something right like suspension. At least we understand Oversteer VS Understeer. This what I consider  to be ricers.

1. Installing a mod wrong without instruction.
2. Buying a neon or sound system speakers-(Stereo "OK"-buy at less one or two mods), exterior and interior looks before performance(EXCEPTIONS)-unless you add light weight seats for better power-to-weight-ratio but needs for some mods first or you can add some exterior by some stupid lady-NOT PAYING ATTENTION and clipped your mirror and you decided to by carbon fiber mirrors-exception-you were going to add later).
3. Installing a bigger diameter exhaust-as in inches-(not spec to the application)
4. Stickers of mods you don't have.
5. SUPER STIFF ALL AROUND and LOWEST Supension setup.
6. Thinking your tires gave you HP.  Tongue ITS HANDLING
7. Thinking since your exhaust is louder you have more HP. Resonator create the sound Tongue.
8. Making a bigger-taller spoiler will give you more downforce and handling. YEAH you got the downforce but not the handling.
9. BIG INCH RIMS. YOU GOT TO AT LEAST GOT TO HAVE GOOD TIRES.
10. THERE IS MORE-YOU KNOW A RICER WHEN YOU SEE ONE.

NUMBER ONE PERFORMANCE COME BEFORE LOOKS.  
2000 Ford Mustang

Cold Air Intake, Magnaflow Dual 2.5" Exhaust w/3" Tips,
JBA Stainless Cat4ward Headers
Screamin Demon Ignition Coil

1995 Nissan Skyline GTR R33
HKS GT3240 turbochargers......

2008 Mazda 6 I-4

Pauls325 Pauls325
New User | Posts: 6 | Joined: 01/10
Posted: 01/08/10
12:50 AM

^ says the guy with the turbonator Grin

anyway

the thing is it has nothing to do with lack of budget

my highschool had literally every other kid driving an audi. there was a cts-v two new WRX a new EVO two new mustang GTs dozens of lexus and all the rest were black VW (all from parents) and they do the same crap first mods were always poping the emblem off the car and tint the tails and the windows or LED lights followed by monster rims.

heres the thing...

1. spoilers on any import are worthless for cornering especially FWD ones. very very few of these cars are ever going fast enough through corners to make any usible downforce many of the spoilers used actually create lift.

2. if your rims are big enough to clear your brakes they are big enough excessive unsprung weight kills performance in every way

3. tires dont add handling they increase traction (in all directions)

4. lights are for lighting the road and notifying others (stop left right)

5. if you dont know your engine displacement you dont deserve the car

6. the fast and the furious is a stupid movie if you want to watch a real car movie watch vanishing point (origional) or Death proof

7. only cars that should wear stickers are the ones required to because they are sponsored

8. if you have racing seats and subs in the back you are a ricer

9. one carbon fiber body part will not make your car fast. its a cumulitive thing and it didnt help that you put so many carbon fiber stickers on the dash

10. the infamous ricer pass if you do it you are a ricer whether you just lost a race or you just decided to do it to show off.

those are some tips  what do you guys think?  
2007 Grand Prix GXP

http://user.streetfire.net/profile/Pauls325.htm

1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last