scion tc ques

Import Tuner
Item Posts    Sort Order

scion tc ques

Xracer88 Xracer88
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 12/05
Posted: 12/27/05
11:08 AM

my friend just got a scion tc with the trd supercharger in it. he wants to know if u can also put a turbo kit in it as well. can he have both in the car???  

El_Jefe El_Jefe
Enthusiast | Posts: 302 | Joined: 09/05
Posted: 12/27/05
06:28 PM

yes and no, while ive pondered that qustion before, no you cant but yes you can, like you'll [censored] the engine but theoretically its possible, becasue the supercharger is an intake component, and the turbo is like an exhust component so theoretically its possible ive seen some guy do it a while ago, but in your case no its gonna take way too much custom, work and you will [censored] up the car  

flyboy333 flyboy333
New User | Posts: 19 | Joined: 12/05
Posted: 12/28/05
05:54 PM

Actually VW just put out it's new Golf with a super and turbo, and it makes more than 100 HP per liter (I think). All you need to do is shut one off while turning the other one on, depending on the RPM.  

2GNTEclipse 2GNTEclipse
Guru | Posts: 1007 | Joined: 11/99
Posted: 12/31/05
11:07 AM

Running a twin-charger setup is VERY complicated and requires an insane amount of fabrication and tuning to make it work effectively. So, to keep this simple: NO.

You're right about the new VW plant. It's supposed to be rather nifty.. it even uses a direct injection system to increase power production like the new Audi motors. Cool. Smile  
Speed and power are a mix of mostly three factors: money, motivation, and time. How fast do you want to go and how broke do you want to be when you get there?

ST3ALTHPSYCH0 ST3ALTHPSYCH0
Enthusiast | Posts: 563 | Joined: 11/05
12:22 PM

Kinda off the subject, but yet not b/c of the twin charger thing.... 2GNT, I don't know if you saw my question about sequential turbos, but I'll ask it again, have you ever seen a sequential turbo setup? jhhboy says he's dad has a porche setup that way.  

El_Jefe El_Jefe
Enthusiast | Posts: 302 | Joined: 09/05
09:50 PM

supras have them  

2GNTEclipse 2GNTEclipse
Guru | Posts: 1007 | Joined: 11/99
Posted: 01/01/06
11:36 AM

Quote:

Kinda off the subject, but yet not b/c of the twin charger thing.... 2GNT, I don't know if you saw my question about sequential turbos, but I'll ask it again, have you ever seen a sequential turbo setup? jhhboy says he's dad has a porche setup that way.

Many different manufacturers have run sequential turbo setups. For example, the Supra twin turbo, RX-7 twin turbo, and the 300 ZX twin turbo just to name a few. The advantage is that you get faster response and diminished turbo lag running a dual setup; however, the caveat is that the sequential setup is inherently less effective than a single turbo setup. The flapper valve used in this setup has a tendency to deteriorate and is not consistent for boost. This is especially true in the RX-7 TT. This is why most people who once had sequential turbos swap them out for better performance from a larger, single ball-bearing center section turbo.

I hope this helps you out. Smile  
Speed and power are a mix of mostly three factors: money, motivation, and time. How fast do you want to go and how broke do you want to be when you get there?

ST3ALTHPSYCH0 ST3ALTHPSYCH0
Enthusiast | Posts: 563 | Joined: 11/05
Posted: 01/01/06
08:05 PM

Yeah, it does. I thought twin turbo simply meant that there was one turbo per cylinder bank as opposed to the exhaust coming into one turbo for the whole engine. Thanks for the clarification.

P.S. Sorry Xracer, I kinda feel like I post-jacked ya. Frown